A fire occurred in the 7th floor of a residential high-rise in Stratford, London on Sunday October 26. The fire initiated on one of the resident’s balcony and caused damage to the exterior windows on the residential unit above, allowing smoke to billow into the building.

Fortunately, smoke detectors installed inside the facility were functional. They activated accordingly upon sensing the smoke and provided early notification for occupants to exit the building.

Although not necessarily required by the building code, had upright or sidewall fire sprinklers been provided on the residential balconies of the building, they may have activated and prevented damage to the exterior windows above, ultimately leaving the building free from smoke.